Ever since we were juried into the Manchester Art Show, we have had a lot of chores to attend to and juggle to get everything ready for the show. That meant being off the computer/internet. When we checked the other morning, we had nearly 700 spam emails in our spam folder. So, we have been gone off the blog for a long time. We have inventoried what we are going to show. Ordered some metal prints to see how they go over and have our greeting cards done as well. We only have our coaster tiles left to make.
Molly and I have had several gallery showings and the images have always been hung by the gallery. This is an outdoor show in a 10 x 10 tent. Any walls to hang images on had to be fabricated. We did research into metal grid walls,fabric walls and other commercial methods of hanging our art. Each was expensive and being ‘frugal’, we just couldn’t see spending the money.
That left making our own. Lots of research led us to modifying what are called ‘stage flats’. As you can see from the pictures below, we developed a wooden frame with a vertical and a horizontal cross members. They were originally designed to have tables set in front but I made a mistake in thinking tables are 30 inches in height— they are 29 inches so that means I wasn’t going to be able to use tables to help stabilize the walls with bracing running from the walls to the undersides of the tables. So, we developed bolt through fastening with bolts, washers and wing nuts. Essentially, we need no tools to erect them.
Building them to utilize a corner wall designed to keep everything stabilized allows us to get away with out using jack wall supports. Also they are 7 feet tall which is the height of the structural supports of a craft tent which means we can always tie them off to the tent itself. Final dimensions are 9.5 feet wide at the rear wall and 10 feet on the two legs of the U. Each panel has its own identifier to assist in setting them up in order.
The walls are 7 feet tall by 30 inches wide ( designed to give lots of white space for a 20 x 24 frame/16 x 20 matted and framed image). They are ‘skinned’ with black out cloth fabric obtained from WalMart since it was cheaper than using cheap plywood and painting. One of the benefits of using the fabric is weight. Molly can handle these with no problems and they fit in the bed of a pick up. We used 1 x 4 (3/4 x 3.5 inches) so we would not need back bracing etc.
We will be using two tables– one that is 8 feet wide for displaying Molly’s 8 x 10 images that aren’t on one of the special corner walls. This table sits at the back wall.The other is a 4 foot that will have the Square Reader and the greeting cards/tiles.
When you start out thinking 10 x 10 is a large space and then do scaled drawings to see how everything will fit and still leave enough room for people to enter and look at your stuff without feeling trapped– you realize that 10 x 10 is not really that big.
If you are in the neighborhood next weekend– drop by and see us. If you can’t make it– wish us well and I will try and take a picture of our set up.
that Molly and I have been juried into the Manchester Arts “Art At The Crossroads” Artfest,scheduled for September 29.
We have a lot of work to do to get the display walls finished and all the things necessary for our first outside art show. We will try to show some of our display wall construction for those of you that might be interested in such things.
Most of you know that my first love in photography is waterfowl. Even now, I try to get away and head to Two Rivers or DiSalvo’s farm as often as I can to try to get duck photos. Some of my favorites are green wing teal, blue wing teal, mallards, golden eyes, gadwall, wood ducks and of course more mallards and pintails.
I had an essay with photos about Northern Shovelers published in Take’em Magazine’s latest issue. I have had ‘writer’s block’ to some degree for several years and it was nice to begin the breaking out process. I hope to continue to make progress with overcoming my writing block.
Unfortunately, my back up hard drive is in Foley, MO and it has the essay and the photos on it. Depending on how long it takes to get it back, I will post it on the blog if it isn’t “ancient history” by then.
Many of the archive blog posts have waterfowl in them. I find going back and looking at them is a good way to pass a hot summer day.
As an example of how behind we are….. These images were going to be the basis of a Mother’s Day post. Our very good friend Paulette Cigliana is the unofficial/official “Barn Mom” for several thoroughbred race horses. She frets over … Continue reading →
One of the ‘target’ species we hoped to see at our feeders this year are Baltimore Orioles. About a week ago one landed on the hummingbird feeder trying to get the “nectar” and we broke out the oriole feeder. Molly filled up the small recesses with grape jelly. For the past week we have been graced with at least 4 mature males, 2 mature females and what we think are juvie males.
We must have been the place to be for Orioles. They hit the feeder hard. We were refilling it twice a day. They were eating so much jelly, Molly went to the store and bought a bargain brand so she would have some Welch’s for her morning toast. It has been a lot of fun to see these colorful visitors.
This week has been a different story. Oriole activity is down. After looking at the migration /nesting area map, we see that our part of Missouri is on the borderline between “just passing through” and “setting up housekeeping”.
We aren’t sure if they are in the process of leaving or are busy building nests etc.
A trio of shots– not Nat Geo but we didn’t have time to do the ‘bird on a stick’ set up. Tomato cages have to be fabricated so Miss Molly can get her garden set up and I’m running behind. 🙂